Most providers and practices buy EMRs with Fear. Fear holding you back from asking the right questions. If you are a Physician, you know the fears – I don’t need to write an essay about that.
Here is what goes on in our minds when we think of EMR.
- How should I select the EMR that is good for me and my practice?
- How much should I pay?
- Aren’t all EMRs the same?
- How to get proper reimbursement? Will the EMR help?
- How to maximize my time with patients?
- Will I lose productivity?
Instead, step up and ask Why.
- Why get an EMR?
- Why Bother with something that I fear?
- Why should I be scared of CMS?
I urge all Providers to keep on asking WHY until they get to the core of the issue. What is the real fear? Where is the fear?
- Am I afraid of computer technology?
- Am I afraid that ‘Big Brother’ will watch the data and try to tell me how I should treat my patients?
- Am I afraid of my ‘freedom’ and becoming a ‘data processor’?
- Am I afraid Computer busywork will kill my practice?
- Am I afraid I will be forced to choose between time with my patients and all the mandatory records we have to input into the computer?
We need to step up and ask the right questions. Buy EMR for the right reasons.
EMR is NOT a Commodity and let’s stop asking the question – How much?
Instead, focus on what the system and the vendor can do for me and my practice. Will it allow me to grow my practice, and go home on time? Will it/they help me regain my life?